by Cathee (White) St. Clair
"In the late middle ages, the Barzi counts built the stronghold of Montecapanno, choosing a 'twice-favorable' position, because it was protected from some 'limited perils,' but above all because it was located in the center of a fertile and favorably 'displayed' [situated] territory. Montecapanno later became the 'center of gravity' [hub] of the feudal property of the Alfani-Ansidei family, from 1500 to today. The current appearance of the little castle presents stylistic characteristics of medireview manners, derived from the 19th century intervention of [riadattamento-?]. Interestingly, the chapel is dedicated to San Rocco, with the alter set up with archeological remnants of the flesh [mortal remains], probably originating from neighboring Etruscan regions, and a 16th century fresco representing the Madonna and Child, attributed to Orazio Alfani."
return to the Links Page of Monte Capanno 1970